Monday, April 12, 2010

The Maze Runner

Dashner, James The Maze Runner
My Review: Ok, to start off I have to say I was skeptical about reading this book. It seemed like, at first glance, that it was going to be just like the Hunger Games books. However, this is not true. This is a totally different book, with different ideas.
I have to admit, it took me quite a while to get interested in this book. I started reading it and I thought it was slow and odd. The story is about a boy who gets dropped, or rather put, into the middle of a group of boys all about his age. The main character doesn't have any memory of how he got there, and none of the boys remember any of their life before they were put there themselves. They just know that the walls surrounding them is the walls to a maze and they are trying to find their way out of it. The oddness comes because they make up their own swear words, so the language is very odd at times. The action doesn't really pick up until about the middle. This had been cause for me to put down books before, but I'm older, so I give books more of a try, lol. I'm not going to say I loved this book, because I didn't. It ends with you more interested in the next book than you really were in this one. The next book has potential to be very interesting, so we'll see how that goes. This book alone is alright. The ideas in it was interesting, but not really very realistic. I know kids want to read about kids (another YA book, btw) but really, can it be a bit more real? Usually I'm ok with it, but in this book it didn't really work for me. Anyway, yes, interesting book, but not a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment